NHL says Coyotes relocation fee up to $195 million
Court Alerts
Two studies conducted for the NHL set a potential relocation fee of $101 million to $195 million to move the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton, Ontario.
The figures are listed in a lengthy brief filed over the weekend in the bitter fight in U.S. Bankruptcy Court over ownership of the franchise.
The potential fees are in stark contrast to the $11.2 million to $12.9 million cited by economics professor Andrew Zimbalist in a study conducted for Canadian billionaire James Balsillie. Balsillie, co-CEO of the company that makes the Blackberry, wants to buy the franchise for $212.5 million, contingent on moving it to Hamilton.
The NHL made a last-minute bid of $140 million to purchase the team and keep it in Arizona.
The team is to be sold at auction on Thursday, but many legal issues have yet to be resolved.
The league, in determining a potential relocation fee, cited studies conducted for the NHL by the Barrett Sports Group and Sports Value Consulting.
The Barrett study concludes that the franchise in Hamilton would be worth $261.8 million to $279.8 million. Sports Value's figure was a whopping $315 million.
Meanwhile, Barrett said the Coyotes in Glendale would be worth $163 million to $176 million and Sports Value places the figure at $120 million.
The NHL refuses to consider the possible relocation of the franchise, however, because its board of governors voted 26-0 with three abstentions against Balsillie as an owner.
Related listings
-
Accused Holocaust museum shooter appears in court
Court Alerts 09/02/2009A white supremacist charged with killing a security guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum appeared in court Wednesday in a wheelchair, the first time he has been seen publicly since the June shooting.James von Brunn, 89, had been hospitalized s...
-
Couple never on FBI radar in CA girl's kidnapping
Court Alerts 09/01/2009Police resumed their search Monday for possible links to unsolved crimes at the home of the Northern California sex offender charged with kidnapping a little girl and hiding her in his backyard for 18 years.Three agencies in the San Francisco Bay are...
-
Fashion designer asks LA judge for new trial
Court Alerts 09/01/2009A fashion designer convicted of sexually assaulting aspiring models has asked a judge for a new trial, citing alleged juror and prosecutorial misconduct.Anand Jon Alexander, awaiting sentencing, made an eloquent and impassioned plea Monday for a new ...

New Rochelle, New York Personal Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP, in New Rochelle, New York, immediately. We can answer all your questions and work with you to determine if you have the grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. The attorneys at our firm are determined to resolve even the most difficult of cases. We will work closely with you to determine the best course of action to get your claim or case resolved in the most efficient way possible. We will fight for your right to compensation! No one should have to suffer a financial burden from the result of another person’s carelessness. The attorneys at Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP will aggressively fight to ensure that justice is served on your behalf.