Prosecutors want at least 2 years for escort boss
Court Alerts
The boss of a prostitution ring used by disgraced former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer should serve at least two years in prison, prosecutors said Tuesday.
In papers filed in U.S. District Court, they argued Mark Brener earned "substantial punishment" with his role in the business and should receive the two to two and a half years in prison that was included in his plea agreement.
Brener pleaded guilty last year to conspiracy to commit a prostitution offense and conspiracy to commit money laundering. He's scheduled to be sentenced Friday.
Prosecutors cited his position as head of Emperors Club VIP and criticized his contrition, saying it didn't seem sincere.
"That the defendant continues to insist upon his moral rectitude and his legitimate intentions with respect to the Emperors Club raises a serious concern about the defendant's potential recidivism," prosecutors wrote.
Brener lawyer Murray Richman noted his client is 63 and said "time alone will prohibit the likelihood of him doing this again."
"In no way does Mr. Brener try to avoid his responsibility," Richman said. "He recognizes he did wrong."
The lawyer noted that his client has been in prison since his arrest last March, when Spitzer resigned after it was revealed he had met one of the Emperors Club's prostitutes at a Washington, D.C., hotel weeks earlier.
Prosecutors said in November they would not charge Spitzer after investigators found no evidence that he misused public or campaign funds for prostitution. The federal government typically does not prosecute clients of prostitution rings.
The manager of the escort service was sentenced to six months in prison last week. A booking agent received a year of probation and a second booking agent is awaiting sentencing.
Related listings
-
Court rejects Polanski bid to disqualify LA judges
Court Alerts 02/03/2009Roman Polanski's attorneys have lost their bid to disqualify all Los Angeles Superior Court judges from considering their request to dismiss the 31-year-old sex case against the fugitive director. The California 2nd District Court of Appeal issued th...
-
Man guilty of false report in Harrison gun case
Court Alerts 01/29/2009A Philadelphia man who says he was shot by Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison has been convicted of a misdemeanor for giving police false information about the incident.The April 28 shooting occurred near Harrison's car wash in North Philade...
-
Court: Christian school can expel lesbian students
Court Alerts 01/28/2009A California appeals court has ruled that a Christian high school can expel students because of an alleged lesbian relationship. The 4th District Court of Appeal in Riverside on Monday upheld California Lutheran High School's right as a private, reli...

New York Commercial Litigation Law Firm - Woods Lonergan PLLC
Founded in 1993 by Managing Partner James F. Woods, Woods Lonergan PLLC has built a strong reputation as a resourceful and industrious firm that provides clients with clear, concise, and straightforward answers to their most challenging legal issues. Partner Lawrence R. Lonergan, who joined the firm in 2008, has been a friend and colleague to Mr. Woods for over 40 years and shares the same business philosophy. Woods Lonergan PLLC’s collective experience and expertise enables the firm to expeditiously and effectively analyze the increasing challenges clients face in an evolving business and legal world, in many instances, avoiding unnecessary time and expense to our clients. Our mission is simple: provide cutting-edge expertise and sound advice in select areas of the law for corporate and business clients. We thrive on providing each client with personalized attention, forceful representation, and a collaborative team effort that embraces collective knowledge.