Toyota class action suit to start with Utah case

Court Alerts

The first lawsuit to go to trial in a massive class action against Toyota Motor Corp. over acceleration problems that led the company to recall 14 million cars will involve a crash that killed two people in western Utah, a federal judge said Friday.

U.S. District Judge James Selna told attorneys the case of 38-year-old Charlene Jones Lloyd and 66-year-old Paul Van Alfen, whose Toyota Camry slammed into a wall in Utah in 2010, is scheduled to go to trial in February 2013.

The case — Van Alfen v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. — will be the first of several bellwether lawsuits, intended to determine how the rest of the litigation will proceed.

Selna wrote in a tentative order that he hoped the selection would "markedly advance these proceedings."

"The Court believes that selection of a personal injury/wrongful death case is most likely the type of case to meet that goal," Selna said.

Toyota said it welcomes the Utah case as the first suit to reach court.

"We are pleased that the initial bellwether will address plaintiffs' central allegation of an unnamed, unproven defect in Toyota vehicles, as every claim in the multi-district litigation rests upon this pivotal technical issue," the company said in a statement.

Toyota has previously argued the plaintiffs have been unable to prove that a design defect in its electronic throttle control system is responsible for vehicles surging unexpectedly. It has instead blamed driver error, faulty floor mats and sticky accelerator pedals.

Related listings

  • Court: Using car to flee can be considered violent

    Court: Using car to flee can be considered violent

    Court Alerts 06/09/2011

    The Supreme Court says fleeing police custody in a vehicle can be considered a violent felony. The high court made its ruling on Thursday in the case of Marcus Sykes. Sykes was convicted of being a felon in possession of a handgun in 2008. Officials ...

  • Judge to rule if ex-pediatrician raped patients

    Judge to rule if ex-pediatrician raped patients

    Court Alerts 06/08/2011

    An ex-pediatrician accused of raping and sexually assaulting scores of his young patients over a decade will await a judge's decision after a one-day trial in which the graphic testimony moved women to tears and drove others from the courtroom.Prosec...

  • Lawyer: Baseline Killer suspect a 'ravenous wolf'

    Lawyer: Baseline Killer suspect a 'ravenous wolf'

    Court Alerts 06/07/2011

    Graphic images of dead people flashed across courtroom televisions as the victims' families looked on, weeping and consoling one another. Some had to leave to collect themselves.For the first time since the nine victims were killed in 2005 and 2006, ...

New Rochelle, New York Personal Injury Lawyers

If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP, in New Rochelle, New York, immediately. We can answer all your questions and work with you to determine if you have the grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. The attorneys at our firm are determined to resolve even the most difficult of cases. We will work closely with you to determine the best course of action to get your claim or case resolved in the most efficient way possible. We will fight for your right to compensation! No one should have to suffer a financial burden from the result of another person’s carelessness. The attorneys at Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP will aggressively fight to ensure that justice is served on your behalf.

Business News

New York & New Jersey Family Law Matters We represent our clients in all types of proceedings that include termination of parental rights. >> read