Accused Auburn shooter in court on 3 murder counts

Headline News

The man charged in three slayings near Auburn University has had three attorneys appointed for him after telling a judge he cannot afford to pay for his legal defense.

Desmonte Leonard had his first appearance before a judge in Opelika, Ala., on Thursday morning. He's facing three counts of capital murder and two assault charges in the shootings last weekend.

The dead included two former Auburn football players, and a current player was among the three injured.

The 22-year-old Leonard told a judge he can't afford to pay for a legal defense. So the judge appointed three Montgomery attorneys to represent Leonard at taxpayer expense.

Leonard says he understands the charges against him. Leonard was chained at his hands and feet during the brief appearance and is jailed without bond.

Related listings

  • Wash. lawyers challenge secret court proceedings

    Wash. lawyers challenge secret court proceedings

    Headline News 05/25/2012

    A defense lawyer in Eastern Washington was reading a detective's statement in his client's drug case when he came across a curious line. In asking to search the man's house and cars, the detective revealed that he had already seen the defendant's ban...

  • US appeals court backs graphic cigarette labels

    US appeals court backs graphic cigarette labels

    Headline News 03/19/2012

    A federal appeals court has upheld a law requiring new, bigger graphic warning labels on cigarette packs.The lawsuit was filed in Kentucky. It's one of two suits by tobacco companies against the federal rules that would make them slap large images on...

  • Court rejects challenge to Ind. elections chief

    Court rejects challenge to Ind. elections chief

    Headline News 03/16/2012

    Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels will be able to choose a replacement for Indiana's ousted top elections official following a state Supreme Court ruling Thursday that found Democrats waited too long to challenge the GOP official's candidacy in 2010. In ...

New Rochelle, New York Personal Injury Lawyers

If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP, in New Rochelle, New York, immediately. We can answer all your questions and work with you to determine if you have the grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. The attorneys at our firm are determined to resolve even the most difficult of cases. We will work closely with you to determine the best course of action to get your claim or case resolved in the most efficient way possible. We will fight for your right to compensation! No one should have to suffer a financial burden from the result of another person’s carelessness. The attorneys at Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP will aggressively fight to ensure that justice is served on your behalf.

Business News

New York & New Jersey Family Law Matters We represent our clients in all types of proceedings that include termination of parental rights. >> read