New Orleans politician pleads guilty to bribery
Legal News Center
[##_1L|1065504521.jpg|width="157" height="111" alt=""|_##]A prominent New Orleans politician pleaded guilty on Monday to federal corruption charges and resigned his seat on the City Council. Councilman Oliver Thomas, 50, admitted in court that he had accepted more than $18,000 dollars in kickbacks in 2002 in exchange for helping a businessman retain a lucrative city parking contract in the famed French Quarter.
"It was wrong and I accept full responsibility for this action," Thomas told a news conference. "I will continue to work for the city I love and I have made peace with my God."
Thomas, a councilman for 13 years and a leading voice for the recovery of the city from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, had been expected to be a strong candidate for mayor when the city picks a successor to Ray Nagin in 2010.
Before U.S. District Judge Sarah Vance, Thomas pleaded guilty to bribery and faces up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines. However, he has agreed to cooperate with federal prosecutors in an ongoing investigation into corruption in New Orleans.
"This guilty plea is a body blow to a community that is already reeling under a wave of public corruption," Vance said at the hearing. "If this city is ever to recover, we have to have an end to this kind of venality."
Thomas' troubles are the latest in a city and state, Louisiana, with a history of corruption in politics.
U.S. Rep. William Jefferson, a Democrat from New Orleans, was indicted in June on corruption charges linked to business deals in Africa.
Investigators found $90,000 in cash in the freezer of his Washington-area home. Jefferson has denied any wrongdoing.
U.S. Sen. David Vitter, a Republican from the New Orleans suburbs, admitted last month to having committed a "very serious sin" after his number was found in the phone records of a woman accused of running a Washington prostitution ring.
Related listings
-
Judge: Super Bowl Funds OK for Churches
Legal News Center 08/09/2007Most of the $736,000 the city promised to three churches as part of a program to clean up the city ahead of the 2006 Super Bowl was justified, but some were not, federal judge has ruled.U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn ruled Wednesday that most of the ...
-
Court denies test drugs to dying patients
Legal News Center 08/08/2007[##_1L|1011057646.jpg|width="130" height="90" alt=""|_##]People who are dying do not have the right to obtain unapproved drugs that are potentially lifesaving, even if their doctors say the treatment offers their best hope for survival, a U.S. appeal...
-
Ciprianis Plead Guilty in $10 Million N.Y. Tax Case
Legal News Center 08/01/2007[##_1L|1219243287.jpg|width="120" height="80" alt=""|_##]The father and son operators of the Cipriani restaurants, which include the Rainbow Room in New York and Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy, pleaded guilty to evading $10 million in state and city bu...

New Rochelle, New York Personal Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP, in New Rochelle, New York, immediately. We can answer all your questions and work with you to determine if you have the grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. The attorneys at our firm are determined to resolve even the most difficult of cases. We will work closely with you to determine the best course of action to get your claim or case resolved in the most efficient way possible. We will fight for your right to compensation! No one should have to suffer a financial burden from the result of another person’s carelessness. The attorneys at Kommer, Bave & Ollman, LLP will aggressively fight to ensure that justice is served on your behalf.